Tired of Comcast and other cable companies blocking your P2P traffic? I highly recommend you use verizon Fios. I was one of the first people in my area to get Fios and I've never looked back. Fiber to the house and a network that by design doesn't have the inheritited performance issues. Cable is a shared medium which was designed to be unidirectional. Someone got the bright idea they could push internet traffic over the cable network, but it was never designed to do so. Hence, it doesn't do it well. Worse, cable companies are not willing to invest the billions of dollars that Verizon is in developing a true network to your house.

Cable's solution to the limitations on their network is to either drop you as a customer, charge you more if you use more then what they expect but less then what they promise you when they sold you the service, or interfer with your service by blocking or slowing particular applications such as peer-to-peer. You will notice in all their plans to set limits, meter your service, etc. they only count traffic that is PC generated by you or competitors products. If you use their VOIP service or their television broadcast services, these don't count towards the bandwidth they allocate to you before they charge you or drop you as a customer. You can bet they don't intercept and generate fake busy signals when you try to make a phone call using their VOIP based phone service, but that is exactly what they were doing to bittorrent users. Sending both sides of the connection a fake signal to make it look like the other person was not available! Its not just P2P file sharing that is at risk. If you want to use your internet connection to view TV over the web using new companies such as Joust, view movies from netflix, use other IP based phone services such as vontage, or just listen to your favorite radio station that streams over the internet, they all count agaist your bandwidth limits. What do they have in common? They all compete with the other services the cable company is trying to sell you: cable TV & music, pay-per-view, phone service, etc.

Is it a good business decision to tell customers to go away? What better way to turn yourself into a hated monopoly. You would think they would learn, now that they are facing competition from companies such as verizon. Half my neighborhood switched within 2 months of verizon being available. If they were smart, they'd invest in their infrastructure. If not globally, at least where there are particular bottlenecks. They claim 5 percent of the people account for 90 percent of their traffic problems. Why not just upgrade those 5 percent if you don't think the other 95 percent will be moving in that direction. Why not innovate? If your network design sux and it would cost too much to retrofit cable with fiber, how about giving those 5 percent access to virtual machines at a data center where you don't face the upstream bandwidh issues?